Look who’s turning 4, it’s my second boy and third child who loves to help momma in the kitchen. He would have helped me with his own birthday cookie, but I managed to make two on my own.
This is an easy, pantry staples, kind of dessert. It’s a fun treat to surprise a loved one on any day. We like to make it special with regular powdered sugar icing and pipe it on with a freezer bag, of course.
It’s also fun to make it for an “I love You” party or a separate family party. Shape it into a heart and surprise your loved one. Try mixing in your favorite miscellaneous candy, like peppermint bark, M and M’s, chopped candy bar or whatever you have on hand.
This frugal cookie cake will bring smiles galore.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/3 cup sugar (we use raw)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups white wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup M & M’s, chocolate chips or chopped candy bar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars with a mixer.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt . Stir well.
- Fold in candy or chips.
- Place on lightly floured pizza pan or baking stone.
- Place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper on top and roll with a rolling pin applying pressure. You can also press with floured hands. Lightly flour dough if sticking.
- Roll about 1/4″ inch thick leaving 1 inch around the edges to allow expansion.
- Bake 16-18 minutes. Cool.
- Decorate as desired.
- Cut into pizza slices or squares.
Do you have frugal way to celebrate special occasions?