Nearly every meal I prepare consists of foods I have doubled and frozen. I thaw items in a plastic shoe box to prevent condensation dripping onto my shelves (I’ve learned from experience). I shop my freezer to see what goodies I can thaw and serve to my family. I write these items down on a seven-day menu plan and post it on my refrigerator as a reminder to thaw my food 24 hours ahead of time. Typically right after dinner, I will glance at my menu plan and put new items into my thawing box. Here’s what I’m thawing this week…
- Greek Chicken wraps made with shredded convenience chicken, carrot sticks
- Black bean casserole, salad
- Italian Meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans, Vermont Cheddar Bread made with Artisan Dough
- Grilled Talipia (if the weather’s still nice), homemade tator tots with leftover mashed potatoes-which I didn’t get around to last week b/c of sick kiddos, leftover green beans
- Stuffed Shells (I’ll try to post this freezer recipe- I made 2 casseroles two weeks ago)
- 5 minute Tacos, corn
- Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas (new freezer recipe with convenience chicken plus broth), salad
- Chicken Salad Croissants (salad made with convenience chicken and croissants made with brioche Artisan dough frozen last week-I’ll post this too), carrots, fruit
Honestly, I shop my freezer more than the grocery store. I check out my freezer inventory and see what’s for dinner. I write down the main entree on my meal plan and see what fruit and/or vegetables I have or need to buy for the week. I also buy milk and some dairy if needed, but I’m stocked up on cheese for freezer cooking casseroles. I plan a dessert of some sort, like brownies, cookies or granola bars for the kid’s lunch boxes. Sometimes, I splurge and make a pie or cake. I think I’m going to make a Tollhouse Cookie Pie this week and attempt a banana split smoothie since I found some leftover crushed pinapple in the freezer–you’ll find out later.
The last one in our four pack has the stomach bug, which is good and bad. We’re praying we are done with this. Have a blessed week!!