Nearly every meal I prepare consists of foods I have cooked or baked in bulk and frozen. I thaw items in a plastic shoe box to prevent condensation dripping onto my shelves (I’ve learned from experience). I shop my freezer from my freezer inventory, to see what goodies I can thaw and serve to my family and others. I write these items down on a seven-day menu plan and post it on my refrigerator as a reminder to thaw my food 24 hours ahead of time. Typically right after the dishes are done, I check my menu plan and put new items into my thawing box and slash them off my freezer inventory. Here’s what I’m thawing this week for lunch and dinners. Everyone’s on their own for b’fast.
- L-leftover freezer turkey burgers, pico de gallo, tortilla chips, carrots
- D-grilled tilapia, grilled Italian veges, naan
- L-tuna sandwiches, pasta salad made from frozen pasta
- D-meatball subs, sweet potatoes
- L-salad, frozen tuscan minestrone soup, naan
- D-black bean and corn quesadillas, mexican rice
- L-egg salad made with world’s easiest boiled eggs, carrots
- D-Southwest steak fajitas, mexican rice
- L-chicken salad made with grilled convenience chicken
- –fried rice, lettuce wraps
- D-macaroni and cheese made with frozen pasta, stir-fry veges, cornbread, cottage cheese
Wow, camping was a breeze with freezer food last week. I especially enjoyed having a lot less dishes to wash for breakfast, thanks to the freezer breakfast wraps I made a head of time. I have lots of ideas, like my make ahead smores box and perfect dark chocolate smores, I feature in the Tasty Travel Series. Be sure to check out the category link on the right side.
This week is going to BUSY with Vacation Bible School. Both hubby and I are helping out so we’re planning sandwiches every day for lunch. Nonetheless, I’m still having a plan in motion so we’re not tempted to swing by Fast Food. I’m gearing up with the last of my freezer cooking for our upcoming vacation. I have the following make ahead items on my list for vacation (making one item each day in the afternoon):
- 2 batches of naan
- freezer waffles
- 2 batches of granola
- crock pot marinara
- 2 loaves banana bread
- double batch dry pancake mix
- double batch dry pizza crust mix
What’s on your make ahead list?
This is linked to Menu Plan Monday, for more inspirations.