Nearly every meal I prepare consists of foods I have cooked or baked in bulk and frozen. I thaw items in a plastic shoe box to prevent condensation dripping onto my shelves (I’ve learned from experience). Then I shop my freezer from my freezer inventory, to see what goodies I can thaw and serve to my family and others. I write these items down on a seven-day menu plan and post it on my refrigerator as a reminder to thaw my food 24 hours ahead of time. Typically right after the dishes are done, I check my menu plan and put new items into my thawing box and slash them off my freezer inventory.
We rotate the same breakfast items each week:
- Freezer waffles with fresh/frozen seasonal fruit or homemade syrup
- Homemade Crock pot yogurt with homemade granola
- Oatmeal with cranberries, walnuts and raw sugar
- Cheerios with bananas and milk
- Scrambled eggs and quick bread like banana or zucchini
We rotate leftovers, wraps, sandwiches and salads for lunch.
As you can tell below, I’m stocking my freezer as I cook daily. Some times I double/triple a couple of items in a power cooking session. Most days I’d rather double my what I’m already cooking anyway and freeze extra. It’s the way I cook and freeze without having to spend six hours or an entire day freezer cooking for a month. This system works best for my busy lifestyle. What’s your method of freezer cooking?
- Fried Eggs, Healthier biscuits (double, freeze extra), bacon, 2011 summer blackberries, whipped cream
- Crock pot Potato Bar, Spinach Salad, Artisan Bread (from the freezer) with olive oil dipping sauce
- Ranch Beef Stew (double and freeze extra for French Dip), mashed potatoes (from the freezer), broccoli with cheese
- Southwest freezer wraps, carrots, tortillas chips
It’s been a busy Memorial Weekend with three cookouts and I used freezer cooking quite a bit. I made a pasta salad using frozen pasta and freezer ranch cheddar burgers. I also took southwest eggrolls and world’s easiest boiled eggs to a cookout. I love spending less time in the kitchen and more time with family and friends. Freezer cooking allows me to do this. How about you?