Nearly every meal I prepare consists of foods I have cooked or baked in bulk and frozen. I thaw items in a plastic shoe box to prevent condensation dripping onto my shelves (I’ve learned from experience). Then I shop my freezer from my freezer inventory, to see what goodies I can thaw and serve to my family and others. I write these items down on a seven-day menu plan and post it on my refrigerator as a reminder to thaw my food 24 hours ahead of time. Typically right after the dishes are done, I check my menu plan and put new items into my thawing box and slash them off my freezer inventory.
We rotate the same breakfast items each week:
- Freezer waffles with fresh/frozen seasonal fruit or homemade syrup
- Homemade Crock pot yogurt with homemade granola
- Oatmeal with cranberries, walnuts and raw sugar
- Cheerios with bananas and milk
- Scrambled eggs and quick bread like banana or zucchini
We rotate leftovers, wraps, sandwiches and salads for lunch.
As you can tell below, I’m stocking my freezer almost daily. Some times I double/triple a couple of items in a power cooking session. Most days I’d rather double what I’m already cooking for dinner and freeze extra. It’s the way I cook and freeze without having to spend six hours or an entire day freezer cooking for a month. This system works best for my busy lifestyle with four children and a husband at home during the summer.
It’s back to school for us this week! Four of us are returning to middle, elementary and preschool. I made it through the summer feeding my family with freezer food. We’ve used some convenience foods, but it’s been worth it. I’m anxious to do a little more freezer cooking with more time on my hands I’ll also have more time to share recipes and try new ones. We’re trying a few new things this week.
- Crock pot Bulgogi, brown rice, fresh green beans
- Freezer Black bean burgers, freezer turkey cheeseburgers, pico de gallo and sweet potato fries
- Enchilada Spaghetti with freezer enchilada sauce, salad
- Tomato pasta soup with freezer vegetable broth, crock pot baked potatoes
- Homemade Chicken tenders (doubling, freezing extra), salad with homemade ranch, Crock pot Artisan Bread
- Steak Fajitas with shoe box fajita marinade, cheesy black beans, pico de gallo
Treats and Snacks:
Have you tried any new freezer cooking recipes this summer?