We served this fantastic homemade salad for the shelter last month. It’s delicious and perfect for holiday meals. I re-purposed my homemade day-old bread, but any bread would work.
I make homemade balsalmic vinegarette by mixing 3 parts balsalmic vinegar to 1 part olive oil. Feel free to use bottled.
slightly adapted from Taste of Home
- 4 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and cubed
- 1 small tomato, cubed
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion,optional
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 5 cups torn romaine lettuce
- Place bread cubes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until dried and toasted, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, onion, olives, pepperoncini and toasted bread. Drizzle with 1/2 cup vinaigrette; toss to coat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Add romaine and remaining vinaigrette; toss to coat.
Linked to Thanksgiving Ideas at Tasty Tuesday