Have you ever bit into a grilled burger and continuously said, “MMMMMMMMMM?” This is the type of burger your tastebuds will flip over. I’m having so much fun prepping different kinds of burgers for our freezer, it’s become a weekly meal for us. We’re enjoying Ranch cheddar burgers, turkey cheeseburgers, stuffed mexiburgers and my next creation is pizza burgers.
This burger starts with my homemade Southwest seasoning that I store on the side of my freezer door. I use two heaping tablespoons and mix it in with the meat in my KitchenAid mixer. Then I grab the normal amount I would use for a burger and divide it in half. These two halves will make a whole. One side receives two slices of cheese. Pepperjack for parents and cheddar for kiddos. The two halves are mashed together to make the “stuffed burger”. Form the patty circle well making sure the cheese edges are not sticking out. My beef didn’t have a lot of fat to get a fantastic stick, but it still worked. Just press and mash and form.
Stack the patties between wax paper or foil and place in a labeled quart size bag if you’re freezing. Thaw for 24 hours in a plastic shoe box and grill on medium high heat until done.
Notice when they are getting done, the cheese begins to ooze out any nooks you didn’t get mashed well. That’s okay, it makes it appear more yummy and droolworthy. Grab your bun and get ready to make these scrumptious burgers. We top ours with sliced avacado and homemade pico de gallo.
- 2 pounds lean beef
- 2 heaping tablespoons homemade or MSG free store-bought Southwest seasoning
- 16 slices pepperjack or cheddar cheese (I use block cheese)
- Mix southwest seasoning and beef together in a stand mixer.
- Divide beef into 8 equal balls. Divide each ball in half and form two thin patties.
- Place two cheese slices on one patty. Press the two patties together and mash well. Repeat with other balls.
- Stack patties between sheets of wax paper or foil and place into two labeled quart size freezer bag. Freeze.
- Thaw 24 hours in a plastic shoe box. Grill on medium high heat until done.
- Serve with avocado slices, pico de gallo or salsa and sour cream if desired.
What’s your favorite way to eat a grilled burger?