If I don’t stick like super glue to my Sam’s list, the friendly cashier will ask for all of my money plus a membership upgrade. Anybody with me on this?
Here’s what our monthly list looks like:
- Taylor’s organic spinach; 3.99 (not pictured because I picked locally this month)Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppyseed dressing
- Eight O’Clock Columbian Coffee Beans (a must every month)
- Sam’s brand flax tortilla chips (with our homemade pico de gallo)
- Eve’s fruit juice boxes (not pictured, but .24 each)
- Bananas (if we’re out)
- Natural almonds (which I use to make my own trail mix: almonds, cranberries, Ghirardelli bittersweet chips)
- Ghirardelli bittersweet chips (usually an every other month purchase) I make chewy whole wheat freezer cookies)
- 2 # Cheese Block (Colby Jack is $4.98; 1.25 per 8 ounce block!)
- #10 can Crushed tomatoes for crock pot marinara (I make this monthly)
- Ground turkey for Italian Meatballs and turkey cheeseburgers
The list is not too lengthy nor fancy. I can run in and out with my two oldest children within 15 minutes. I dove tail shopping with our monthly mission meal since we’re on that side of town.
I must confess it’s really hard to “stick” to the list when children ask for convenience items, but I bribe them with a slushy and we’re in and out in no time. The sample items are a temptation for many people. I walk right by them dragging my children away with their mouths half full;)
I’ve debated on keeping this membership since I buy so little and we’re buying more and more local meats and fruits and vegetables whenever possible. I’ve also taken up with Aldi comparison shopping and discovered many staple items like eggs, shredded cheese, tomato sauce and paste and pintos, etc. are just as cheap or cheaper.
It pays to do your math to see whether you really are saving money buying in bulk. Many coupon users say they come out cheaper using coupons buying in smaller quantities. I do agree if you have the time and gas to coupon, but our time is money too.
What are your repetitious items are you buying at Sams or other wholesale clubs? Do you feel as if you are getting a good deal buying in bulk?