If you’ve never tried lentil burgers, this is the recipe for you. It started as a foods class recipe and turned into a new favorite of mine. I’ll be making these at home quite often. I now have plenty of frozen lentils and brown rice to make these scrumptious burgers. I was truly impressed by the way they held together and amazed how well my forty plus students gobbled them up. We’re talking high school guys eating one whole and some two when I offered them a half. They are that yummy and fragrant. For frugality reasons, I made ours with brown rice, but I’ll be trying the quinoa at home for more protein punch. These are most definitely freezer friendly and would taste fantastic on salads, lettuce wraps and the good old-fashioned way all, the way, pickles, ketchup, mustard, mayo and all the fixins’. Hope you enjoy these as much as we did. They are totally cheap on the dime and so delicious.
Lentil Burger Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cook according to package instructions (we used brown rice cooked 30 minutes)
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup White Whole Wheat Flour or Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Sauté onion in 2 teaspoons olive oil until tender, about 4 minutes.
2. Using a food processor, pulse all burger ingredients until coarsely mixed. Shape into 8 burger style patties. In a large skillet, on medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil, add patties and cook until brown on both sides, about 10-12 minutes. Enjoy with your favorite bun or roll, spread mustard and ketchup like we did. Or serve with all your favorite burger toppings.
3. Cool completely on wire rack before freezing. Label gallon size freezer bag. Thaw completely, reheat in microwave or medium low heat in skillet.
Adapted from Skinnyms
How will you eat your burger?