First and foremost, I do not bake one loaf at a time. If I’m going to pre-heat my oven to a piping 450 degrees, I maximize all my space. Though we don’t eat all four loaves at once, I do allow them to cool on a wire rack completely and then freeze.
- Cool Completely
- Wrap in Foil
- Stow in a gallon size bag (re-use it again and again)
- Date foil/bags if you bake frequently
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and don’t open until done. Use a thermometer or tap the bread for a hollow sound
- Write down your baking time for the next time you bake (you may decide to add more or deduct time based on your oven and altitude)
- Use parchment paper if you don’t have enough baking stones/pans
- Stones work the best for authentic crusty bread
Do you make bread by the bounty?