Raise your hand if you like cake doughnuts. I’m raising mine because I prefer the cake texture over the heavy shortening bakery doughnut. I really like the texture of this cake doughnut because it can serve as a mini-cake for fruit shortcakes like strawberry, blueberry, peach or what ever is in season or on your counter. It’s just another way to serve this fun muffin. So go ahead and double and freeze this recipe if you like. I double and make 24 muffins for future quick breakfasts and shortcake treats. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 sugar
- 1/3 brown sugar (I use 2/3 cup raw sugar, omitting brown)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur)
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425. Line 12 muffin tins or lightly spray.
- Beat butter, oil and sugars until smooth. Add eggs, continuing to beat.
- Stir in baking powder, soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
- Stir in flour alternating with milk, making sure it is thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling nearly full.
- Bake about 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes.
- Optional: dip in cinnamon sugar mixture if desired.
- Cool completely on wire rack before freezing. Thaw two hours and reheat one muffin for twenty to thirty seconds in microwave. Proceed to dip in cinnamon sugar if desired.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
What’s your favorite doughnut?