Think quick, it’s Valentine’s Day and you can surprise your loved ones with a simple treat dressed up a notch. Better yet, it’s a microwave treat that takes about 3 minutes. The chilling and dipping takes just a few minutes longer, but it’s worth it. No excuses, it’s quick, it’s frugal and you probably have most of the pantry ingredients. And it doesn’t have to be on Valentine’s Day. It can be made on any “I love You” day. If you’ve already got a plan in action, save this recipe for a future surprise day and it truly will be a surprise!
Mel has some wonderful tips and sucker ideas over at her blog.
- cooking spray
- 10 oz bag of marshmallows, mini or regular
- 3 tbsp salter butter
- 6 cups rice crispies
- 1 cup chocolate chip morsels or more
- Decorative sprinkles, optional
- Place marshmallows and butter in a large microwavable bowl sprayed with cooking spray.
- Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and stir in rice crispies with a spatula(sprayed with non stick spray).
- Pour into 13x9 pan that is sprayed with non stick spray.
- Spray a square piece of wax paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap cut about the size of your hand.
- Firmly press mixture down with the paper or wrap.
- Allow to cool at least 30 minutes then cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter and a knife if necessary.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes, stirring well at the end.
- Dip heart rounds or into the chocolate or spread on the top and sprinkle with decorations if desired.
- Lay on a piece of wax paper to cool.
I make giant hearts, that’s why I needed a knife to assist. This was a shallow cutter.
Feel free to modify the shapes for any holiday or special occasion. We found a cross cookie cutter at the craft store. Imagine 4 points dipped in chocolate for Easter.
I wish I could see their face at school when they open their lunch boxes!
Do you surprise your loved ones just because you love them and it’s not a holiday?