Old habits are hard to break. Baking with 100% white flour is one of them. However, I started baking with white whole wheat flour years ago and there’s no turning back. I love the texture, taste and the way it doesn’t change the product’s taste. I love Eagle Mills flour at our local Ingles. Click here for a coupon and where to find it in your area.
Here’s a family favorite recipe from my mother-in-law. I’ve tweaked it with a few simple healthier changes. We still enjoy our pound cake with a little less sugar and a little more whole wheat. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
It’s typically our summer indulgement with seasonal fruit, but the Spring strawberries from Sams were crying out for this cake. So I whipped one cake up this weekend for company and it was gone the next day. Usually I cool half and wrap tightly in foil and slide into a freezer bag. It goes straight to the freezer. It can also be frozen in individual slices for lunch boxes like the brownie tutorial here. However, my kids were so excited to see a pound cake, I found crumb trails throughout the house and no trace of a slice to freeze.
We got spontaenous and dished up some ice-cream for round two and added chocolate. Now you see why I reduced to the original sugar amount, it’s not missed with these toppings.
- 2 sticks butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups Eagle Mills Flour (or 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose and 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat)
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a tube or bundt pan or spray with baking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one a time.
- Add 1 cup flour at a time alternating 1/3 cup milk.
- Blend well and add vanilla.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
How to make homemade vanilla extract here.
What’s your favorite way to serve pound cake?