Remember the good old days? You could buy a Chef Boyardee Pizza Kit for two homemade pizzas? Probably not the best seller anymore with Little Caesars and CiCi’s pizzas around for $5 , right? I admit, we indulge in a $5 pizza every once in a blue moon, but when we do I realize how I miss my homemade pizza.
Here’s an easy recipe I’ve used for years which yields three large pies and I’m throwing in a super easy frugal way to make enough pizza sauce for three pies. Grab a can of tomato paste from the pantry. Seriously.
I always make three pies and we eat on the leftovers the next day. Feel free to freeze leftovers for quick lunches and dinners. I got on a freezing kick the other night and made six pizzas to have enough to freeze (because we’re always eating the leftovers the next day with none left to freeze).
Though your family may not be large enough to consume three pizzas. Think ahead and freeze the extra slices on a cooling rack. Bag the leftovers in a gallon size bag. Pack in school or work lunches. Serve with a salad for a speedy lunch or dinner. Take a night off from cooking and enjoy freezer pizza/movie night.
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 6 oz. water (use the can)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Mix all ingredients with a small whisk or fork in a 2-cup glass measuring cup.
- Pour or spread over three large pizza crusts.
- Sauce is freezable. Pour into a quart size freezer bag. Squeeze out air, freeze flat. Thaw 24 hours prior to using.
- 2 cups warm water (115 degrees)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (we like King Arthur or Gold Medal)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup Real grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients until dough forms. It will appear sticky.
- Liberally sprinkle extra flour on top. Divide into three portions.
- Pat each portion onto a buttered pizza pan or stone.
- Top with speedy pizza sauce and favorite toppings.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Tint with foil if pizza is browning too quickly and there are lots of toppings.
We like turkey pepperoni, black olives, green pepper, tomatoes, spinach, cheddar and mozzarella cheese and red pepper flakes.
What’s your favorite pizza toppings?