I’m a sucker for trying any ‘no boil’ recipe and freezing it in bulk. I’ve adapted this no cook recipe to make it freezer-friendly and easy to have a fuss free meal. This is for all my casserole friends out there. Feel free to kick this recipe up a notch and add your own protein, such as, nitrate-free hot dogs (kiddos would love) or leftover ham, chicken or turkey pieces. It’s a one dish meal you can thaw and throw in your oven without dirtying a single dish if you’ve planned your freezer menu accordingly.
This is another no cook, easy ministry meal to bless another family. Add salad and bread and you’ve got a hearty homemade meal. Want another no cook option? Try my no boil freezer manicotti, our most popular recipe on the blog!
Slightly adapted for freezing from Plain Chicken
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (I use whole grain blend, like Barilla)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded cheese (sharp is great, but use what you have)
- 8 oz softened light cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 tsp. onion salt
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard; optional
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
- In a blender, pulse together all the ingredients except macaroni and shredded cheese.
- Pour macaroni into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with cheese sauce.
- Make sure all the pasta is covered with the liquid by pressing the noodles to the bottom.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Spray underside of foil with cooking spray if it touches cheese.
- Freezer Prep: Label foil with baking instructions: Thaw 24 hours, add 3/4 cup water, bake tightly covered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Remove foil, bake additional 10 minutes if desired.
- Bake 30-40 minutes if fresh, not frozen. Check for pasta for doneness.
revised 4/10 *I updated the recipe by using a blender to make a smoother cream cheese sauce without lumps;)
How do you like your mac and cheese?