Do you like sandwiches? If the answer is yes, try this hot sandwich. It’s made with roast cooked in your crock pot all day. You can buy a bottom round or chuck roast. The bottom round is leaner with less fat. I bought a bottom round specifically for the sandwich and not the usual pot roast with vegetables. However, I recommend enjoying a pot roast first if you’re family likes it and then making these tasty sandwiches with the leftovers. You can freeze your pot roast leftovers and then thaw the shredded meat later to make these.
You begin with the seasonings. I use minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and Italian seasoning. Click on the printable recipe at the end of the post for the exact measurements. I drizzle the top with olive oil.
Cook on high for 8 hours. I went ahead and shredded the meat with two forks once it had cooked about 6 hours so it didn’t dry out.
It will look like this once it’s shredded, unless you keep it in tact to eat as pot roast first. Then shred it later and cool it completely before you bag it for the freezer. It looks like we can have this meal two additional times or I can vary it up by adding BBQ sauce, top it with slaw or serve it in a wrap.
- 3 pound boneless bottom round or chuck roast
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil
- Drizzle olive oil on top of roast. Pour water in the bottom of crock pot. Sprinkle all the seasonings on top of the roast.
- Cover and cook on high 6-8 hours. Shred meat with two forks during the last two hours and submerge in the au jus. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and fill buns of your choice.
- Sprinkle with cheese and broil on high. Sandwiches can be served with au jus on the side if desired.
- Cool and bag leftover meat for the freezer. Use for sandwiches again or bbq or wraps.
How would you serve your Italian Beef?