Warning: this is an addictive popcorn, but it’s made healthy with raw sugar and no hydrogenated oils. We make this for pennies and it’s a treat for the kiddos and adults. It’s made with real frugal popcorn, real sugar, real oil and real salt with no additives or preservatives. And it’s REAL-ly good!
Be sure to follow the instructions exactly and use both olive and canola/vegetable oil to prevent the sugar from burning. Remove the popcorn when it slows down popping and use a heavy pot if you have one. The raw sugar does stick to the pot sometimes, just allow it to soak in soapy water for easy clean up. Bar Keeper’s Friend powder cleanser works wonders keeping your cook wear clean.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup popcorn kernels (we like Jiffy white popcorn)
- 1 large heaping tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add popcorn kernels and oil in a 6 quart or larger heavy duty pot. Cover with a glass lid preferably.
- Heat on medium high heat until popping begins.
- Wait until the first kernel pops and quickly uncover and sprinkle raw sugar over kernels.
- Pop until 1 to 2 seconds between pops gently shaking the pot in between.
- Carefully remove lid, sprinkle with salt.
- Use a 1 cup measure to dip and place into serving bowls.
Do you have a favorite homemade pop corn recipe?