- 5 or 6 large boneless chicken breasts
- 3 stalks celery, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups self-rising flour (I sub 1/2 the sr for white whole wheat flour)
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup milk
- Cover chicken, vegetables and spices in a large Dutch Oven. Bring to a boil and reduce heat for twenty to twenty-five minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken, cool and shred in large pieces with two forks. Remove onion and garlic cloves.
- Combine flour and cubed butter in a Kitchen Aid. Mix until butter is crumbly. Add milk and slightly stir until mixture is moistened.
- Pat dough onto a 9x13 silpat or flour surface. Roll out to 1/8-inch thick and cut into 1-inch pieces using a pizza wheel (be careful if using a silpat).
- Bring broth to boil. Drop dumplings a few at a time and stir gently. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring often. Drop chicken back into hot broth and stir. Serve immediately.
This broth is thick, delicious and a stick to your man’s ribs dinner.
How do you like your chicken and dumplings?