So what do I do with five freezer bags of brown rice? We enjoy
Red Beans and Brown Rice (Beans also frozen)
Brown fried rice (a healthier version of white fried rice)
Asian Sesame Honey chicken over brown rice
I use my quart size bag of thawed brown rice for any recipe calling for rice;)
Here’s some tips for bagging and freezing brown rice:
- Don’t add more liquid than necessary; only the minimum amount directed
- Don’t stir it while it’s cooking; only fluff at the end.
- Simmer covered the full amount of time with broth or two tablespoons of oil (olive or canola)
- Cool completely before bagging. (Two hours room temperature and overnight in the fridge is best)
- Fill quart size freezer bags using a measuring cup and large glass mug or measuring cup to support. (I bag two cups)
- Label, date and freeze flat
- Thaw 24 hours to 48 hours
- Add a tablespoon or two of water and reheat in a microwave safe dish with lid on 70% power for about five minutes or until hot.