Are you looking for a natural healthy chicken strip meal with the convenience of baking frozen? I’ve been trying to make “convenience” nuggets or strips my kids would like and I finally made one. I make this similar to my freezer chicken Parmesan, but I’m freezing raw, but ready to bake complete with the crunchy breading. I hope you enjoy this easy recipe served with honey mustard, homemade ranch, BBQ sauce or ketchup. It’s ready without the mess of soaking, breading or mixing in about thirty minutes if you’ve done your freezer homework.
- 4 Chicken breasts cut into long strips or about16 chicken tenders
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper or 1/4 teaspoon regular
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Soak chicken tenders in buttermilk over nigh or 8 hours.
- Spray a baking pan with cooking spray (one that will fit in your freezer for flash freezing)
- Combine both crumbs with seasonings. Coat chicken well, pressing if necessary.
- Lay on pan and flash freeze until solid or over night.
- Remove with metal spatula and freeze in a gallon size freezer bag squeezing air out. Label bag with baking directions:
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spray a stone or cookie sheet with spray. Place chicken strips on pan and spray top of strips.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear. Broil for 5 minutes if you desire extra crispy.
The buttermilk keeps the tenders moist while they bake and binds the crunchy coating to the chicken. They flash freeze easily in a couple hours and fit inside a gallon freezer bag labeled with the baking directions. Now I have a homemade, chicken tenders with minimal ingredients and no preservatives. Why didn’t I make two bags? I highly recommend doubling this recipe when chicken breasts or tenders go on sale.
We almost didn’t have enough to pack for my husband’s lunch which is rare because I always make a lot around here. I managed to hide two tenders from the greedy little hands
This would be excellent over spaghetti with marinara and provolone. Or how about a sandwich bun with Swiss cheese, lettuce and tomato. My kids liked them straight up. How would you serve your chicken tenders?