How many of you have kiddos that adore cheese sticks? Whenever we get the cheapo breadsticks with no cheese from Little Caesars, my kids go nuts fighting over garlic bread. You know what I mean? Well, they seldom get Pizza Hut cheese bread sticks, which were the bomb in my high school time. Girlfriends and I would meet after the football game and eat a whole pan by ourselves.That was the day.
Now I can make these a little more wholesome for my kiddos and watch them fight over the last cheese stick. I use my usual Artisan dough whipped up in a plastic shoe box. It’s a 5-minute no-knead recipe which rises for two hours on the counter. Make these whenever your kids cry out, “We want cheese sticks!” You have about a week shelf-life with the dough to make another batch or make both and freeze for convenience cheese sticks.
I pull out the refrigerated dough and divide into two portions. I pat one portion on my silpat mat sprinkled with flour. If my dough is sticky, I will liberally sprinkle with flour prior to dividing. Next, I brush with about a half a stick of melted butter (that’s the secret). I sprinkle liberally with garlic salt and top with mozzarella cheese. Then I slice with a pizza wheel (I’m very careful not to press too hard) into cut vertically about 1/2″ a part. Then I make one horizontal cut right in the center. Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned if desired. We desire.
- Artisan Dough:
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (we use 7 cups of Eagle Mills flour)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Bread sticks:
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Measure the liquid ingredients into a plastic shoe box.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir well until there are no dry patches.
- Cover with lid and allow to rise on the counter for two hours.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Divide dough into two portions and pat onto a buttered 9x13 baking stone/silpat mat.
- Flatten to about 1/2" thick using floured fingers. Cut into long sticks and cut sticks in half.
- Brush with 1/2 stick melted butter, garlic salt and top with cheese.
- Bake at 450 degrees about 15 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve warm with marinara if desired.
Serve these babies hot right out of the oven with warm marinara. Click on this recipe for speedy marinara made from a can of tomato paste if you need to. If you don’t want to try the shoebox method, you can use the no-rise dough I use to make three pizza pies in one setting. Just divide your dough portion into two and proceed the same way.
Surprise your family with these cheesy breadsticks one night as an appetizer or a meal with salad and see if they ask you if it’s take-out!
Do you love breadsticks like us?