Adapted from Land O’Lakes
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cupButter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crushed mini candy canes or peppermint candies
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and peppermint extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Beat until well mixed. Stir 1/4 cup crushed candy into dough. I used my Pampered Chef food chopper, but a rolling pin crushes just as well in a freezer bag.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. (DO NOT OVER BAKE.) Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire cooling rack. Cool completely. Freeze baked cookies or dough balls if desired. Bake 12 minutes if frozen.
Save your holiday peppermint and adapt this to a gift at Valentine’s Day.
What’s your favorite holiday cookie?