It’s Crock Pot Mania time. I’m loving my crock pot like crazy because I can prep the meals whenever I feel like it and crock it in time for dinner. I’ve taken our beloved baked chicken enchilada recipe and modified for the crock pot.
This is one of those meals that taste authentic like a Mexican restaurant because of the fresh cilantro and cumin. I use either freshly shredded chicken from a crock pot, grill or stove -top method. I’ve done all three and have different types of convenience chicken in my freezer. I can revamp chicken or turkey leftovers into this Mexican meal.
I also use homemade freezer enchilada sauce, but feel free to use can sauce to make it quicker. However, since I make mine in bulk and freeze it for this occasion, I always have it on hand.
Here’s a peek at this scrumptious chicken filling brimming with goodies like Mexican cheese, green onions, cilantro, cumin, real enchilada sauce and a touch of sour cream.
I put about 1/2 cup on the bottom of the crock pot. Then I place about 3 tablespoons of this filling in each corn tortilla, roll and place it in the bottom of a crock pot. Got leftover filling like I did? Place it into a tortilla wrap. Grill it for lunch or a quick dinner later in the week. I had enough for two servings.
I cover with remaining sauce and cheese and crock on high for about an hour. The filling is cooked and you’re just heating the entree so watch it. All crock pots cook differently so you may want to baby sit your meal until you figure out the right time.
But, oh it’s worth it!
- ENCHILADA SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth (use your chicken or turkey broth that it was cooked in if you have any)
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic minced garlic clove
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable Oil
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- HEAT oil in large saucepan.
- Stir in flour and chili powder. Cook 1 minute.
- Add cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and garlic . Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- COMBINE chicken, green onions, 1/2 cup Cheddar, 1/2 cup Jack, sour cream, chiles and cilantro. Stir in 1/2 cup Enchilada Sauce, stirring until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a small amount of Enchilada Sauce over the bottom crock pot.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll up.
- Place enchiladas, seam side down, side by side in prepared crock pot.
- Pour remaining sauce over. Top with remaining cheeses.
- Crock on high for about an hour or two or until sauce bubbles and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with sour cream, sliced green onions and chopped cilantro if desired.
What’s your favorite crock pot meal?