This is a complete meal crock pot style without having to cook brown rice. It’s so easy and delicious I decided to make it for our monthly mission meal to feed the homeless. There’s nothing like a home cooked crock pot dish. I know you’ll love there is no cooking rice prior to crocking and it contains healthy broccoli, fresh or frozen, whatever you have on hand.
Adapted from My Blessed Life
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups frozen (12 to 14 oz) or fresh broccoli florets
- Spray crock pot with cooking spray.
- Pour in rice and chicken broth and onion.
- Lay chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle with salt, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or until chicken breasts are cooked.
- During last crocking hour, remove chicken breasts and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back to crock as well as sour cream and cheddar cheese. Stir together and place broccoli on top.
- Cover and crock an additional thirty minutes to an hour until most of the liquid is absorbed, broccoli is tender and rice is done. It will further thicken as it is removed from the heat.
- Cool leftovers and freeze in individual or family size servings without the mess. Thaw and reheat in the microwave for a healthy lunch.
Adjust time and temperature of your crock pot as necessary. All crock pots cook differently.
What is your favorite healthy crock pot meal? If you don’t have one this might become your favorite.
This is linked to Make Ahead Meals