Who’s in for a fuss-free breakfast on Christmas morning? I’m raising my hand high, which is why I adapted another tasty freezer casserole made before Christmas morning. It’s stowed in the freezer until Christmas eve day, thawed in the fridge all day and overnight. Then when the kiddos or dog or husband wake you bright and early, crank the oven on, throw in the casserole and serve it with fruit or yogurt or alone for goodness sake. Your family will think you’re cooking an amazing breakfast as they smell the aroma. All you have to do is sit pretty and smile and cut it into squares if you desire. This is my game plan for 2011 Christmas morning. In the past, I’ve tried to an amazing breakfast, but I figured I can still make it amazing AHEAD of time.
I love the red and green theme throughout the casserole! Check out the ingredients and you’ll see where it comes from.
Adapted from bobevans.com
- 1 pound crumbled and cooked sausage
- 6 slices wheat bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup diced green and red peppers
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Spread bread cubes in sprayed 9 x 13 inch baking dish;
- Top with sausage, peppers and cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt and mustard until well blended; pour over cheese.
- Cover with foil and label with freezer directions: Thaw 24 hours. Bake covered 45 minutes at 350 Remove foil and bake 5 minutes. Stand 5 minutes.
- OR Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Leftovers may be frozen and thawed 24 hours and reheated in the microwave.
What’s your favorite Christmas morning breakfast?
This is linked to Life as Mom’s other make ahead ideas here.