This is a hit because the kids are fishing for meatballs as they are eating their chili. I still serve it the same way as I do regular chili with browned ground beef. I’m able to throw all the ingredients in a crock pot, including the frozen or thawed meatballs and frozen diced tomatoes (I’ve bought in bulk). I set the temperature on low for eight hours or high for six. I serve it with tortilla chips (my kid’s favorite way) or cornbread. We top ours with cheese, chopped avocado and sour cream. I also have the added convenience of using frozen beans like kidney, pinto or black in my freezer stash. It takes me less than ten minutes to fix this chili and forget about it until six o’clock when our tummy starts rumbling or the three-year-old asks, “What’s for dinner?”
Here’s a list of other meatball recipes we enjoy:
- 1 pound ground beef, browned (I use 2 dozen cooked, frozen meatballs)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups water (use the 16 oz. can to add)
- Add all the ingredients in a crock pot.
- Use any frozen ingredients you prefer, such as frozen meatballs or beans.
- Set temperature to low for eight hours or high for six hours.
- Stir once to mix frozen ingredients together.
- Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread.
- Top with shredded cheese, hot sauce, avocado and/or sour cream.