It looks like a cake, but it’s really a moist, beautiful version of banana bread. This is another fantastic way to use up ripe bananas and not let them go to waste. We should never be throwing away another banana when you can make this!
The bottom layer is thick and richly colored with the dark cocoa.
The top layer is thick too and spooned on top of the cocoa layer.
It’s done when a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
Don’t forget ripe bananas can go straight into the freezer, whole, to preserve until you are ready to make this recipe. The bananas must thawed at room temperature in a thawing box or bowl until soft. Warning: they will look disgusting and not edible, but they can be mashed in a mixer and turned into something beautiful. Your recipes may take a little longer to bake if the cold bananas lower the temperature of the batter. Test with a toothpick to ensure doneness.
Slightly Adapted from Tammysrecipes.com
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, softened)
- 1 cup sugar (I use raw sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa (I used Hershey's Dark Cocoa)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In mixing bowl, beat bananas. Add softened butter and sugar. Add egg vanilla beating well.
- Add flour, soda, baking powder, and salt to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide batter in half. Add the cocoa to one portion of the batter. Spread that portion in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Spoon remaining batter on top, swirling gently with butter knife if desired, and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until batter tests done with a toothpick or fork. Cool and cut into 24 squares.
This cake is best eaten on the first day and stored in the refrigerator. It’s especially good warm from the oven with a glass of cold milk! I’m planning to make this in a loaf pan in the future .
What’s your favorite way to use ripe bananas?